Who says you’ve got to be cruel to look fab? Well, maybe Beyonce with her crazy animal skin kicks. Sorry, Bey, we’re not buying it.
Fortunately for us, we know Ashlee Piper, founder of the award-winning style blog The Little Foxes, so we’ve got an in when it comes to the bunny-friendly fashion trends for the year ahead. In true Vegan Cuts fashion, we’re not keeping Ashlee all to ourselves, though! Read on to hear her picks for getting fab for the year ahead. Oh, and get your credit card ready because some of these are a steal!
2014 Fashion Forecast by Ashlee Piper of The Little Foxes
While food is often the focal point of the vegan conversation, cruelty-free fashion and beauty run a close second as to how people can make a significant impact on the planet. Vegan design often gets a bad rap, stigmatized as being comprised of shabby materials and shapeless silhouettes, hemp fanny packs, and blister-provoking plastic shoes. The truth? Vegan fashion is much like plant-based cuisine: the ingredients are slightly different, but the results are every bit as sumptuous and sophisticated.
Here are some of my favorite trends for 2014 from groundbreaking designers whose collections are as elegant as they are ethical.
Few of us have the means to summer on Cape Cod, but The Talented Mr. Ripley aesthetic is easily replicated with these breezy, wear-forever pieces:
- The entire spring collection by Brave Gentleman features linen suiting, hand-cut gloves, and locally-made hats for the guy (or gal) who likes to look dapper.
- This chambray top by Study NY gets softer with every wash. Pair with rumpled khaki trousers and these Melissa flats for a casual cool look.
- These Olsenhaus Nirvana beaded sandals and Neuaura espadrilles beg to be on a yacht.
- This organic Molly Dress from Fed By Threads is beachy and every purchase feeds meals to the hungry.
- A beautiful scarf like this Kerala Waves linen version, bamboo wayfarers, and a classic watch in unexpected wood are ready for summer’s adventures.
Geometric splashes of color dress up neutral pieces:
- Wear-anywhere Nala Doubler Bag by Freedom of Animals is perfect for work.
- Make a dramatic entrance (and exit) with this Charlotte Dress by FROCK LA.
- The casual, but polished Wianno Tote by Jill Milan easily holds all of your gear.
- The sky-high Melissa Patchuli wedge and this chunky orange necklace brighten any ensemble.
Polished, fitted silhouettes and softened menswear make this a knockout trend:
- Daniel Silverstein’s Journey Dress achieves mind-blowing sophistication from recycled fabric scraps.
- The Newbury Street Portfolio by Jill Milan makes meetings an elegant affair.
- Beyond Skin’s pumps and peep-toes are ready for dancing.
- These metallic Sally Lace-Ups from Nicora Johns (vegan, fair labor, and sustainable!) + these cuffed Near Far pants + a solid, fitted top = easy Hepburn-esque glamour.
Channel your inner Stevie Nicks-meets-Daisy Buchanan with whimsical pieces that blend hippie chic with a decadent 20’s vibe:
- Cozy and bright, this Djuna Shay organic cotton headband is the perfect all-weather headpiece.
- Totally enchanted by the entire Arden Wohl collection for Cri de Coeur – lucite and florals, oh my!
- The Deck Dress by Feral Childe is the perfect complement to your Downton Abbey viewing.
- The slouchy Pansy Maiden carryall blends fringe with function, while this bedazzled Shiraleah clutch brings the Gatsby glamour.
About Ashlee, Our Blogger Friend:
Ashlee Piper is the creator of the award-winning food and style blog, The Little Foxes, a space for decadent recipes, cruelty-free beauty, vegan style guides, and sassy, swear-filled musings. Jane-of-all-trades, Piper is the manager of the Vegucated Schoolhouse, a holistic health coach, strategic consultant to ethical brands, and writer whose work has been featured in AOL’s Kitchen Daily, VegNews, Vegetarian Times, Ecorazzi, Reader’s Digest, FOX News, and Refinery29.
Updated 1/24/14: This post was edited for accuracy.