If you haven’t heard of Earth Balance’s newest vegan mac and cheese products, you may be living under a rock. People are quite excited about their cheddar and white cheddar options and for good reason—they’re as tasty as they are convenient! Read o for a recipe that dresses up this nostalgic staple with Truffle oil and a sautéed mushroom and green mix.
These products are also completely vegan, non-gmo, and have zero trans fat. I can think of several non-vegan people in my life that would find this super appealing, along with children who would never be able to tell the difference between this vegan version and the blue box of old.
As good as these macs are by themselves, I’ve glamorized the white cheddar flavor with some sauteed spinach and mushrooms and a drizzle of luscious truffle oil. In turn, this turns a quick meal into an easy, quick and semi-fancy dish that you can make for date night or weekday dinner company.
Take this recipe a step further and put it into a baking dish, top with bread crumbs and bake for a richer, fall or winter dish in the coming months. Any way you prepare it, just know that this dish is so good, and definitely a crowd-pleaser. I can’t wait to experiment more with these!
- 1 tablespoon sunflower or coconut oil
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cups baby spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 oz. box of Earth Balance White Cheddar flavor Mac & Cheese
- 6 cups water
- 4 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 1 ½ teaspoons truffle oil
- Warm the sunflower oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the yellow onion to the pan and saute for 2 minutes, then add garlic and saute until the onions become clear.
- Add the mushrooms to the saute pan and cook until they are soft and have reduced in size.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, bring the water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add spinach to the saute pan and cook until wilted, roughly 1-2 minutes, season with salt and pepper, then take the pan off of heat and set aside.
- Once the water is boiling, add the pasta noodles and cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. When the noodles are cooked, drain the pasta.
- Return the pasta to the pot and warm over medium heat. Add the non-dairy milk, Earth Balance Buttery Spread and the White Cheddar flavor sauce packet; stirring until the sauce is smooth and thickens slightly.
- Stir the saute into the mac and cheese, then divide between two bowls. Finish it off by drizzling the truffle oil over the two bowls and serve immediately.