I’ve been on a total vegan muffin kick lately, and how could you really blame me? Muffins are the perfect breakfast or snack! Single portions, hearty, sweet and easy to eat on the go; what’s not to love? If I didn’t sell you on muffins yet, hopefully this will, these muffins are spiced with Blue Lotus Chai, dotted with Earnest Eats Mayan Oats (with cacao!) and made super moist with The Vegg Baking Mix.
In short, these muffins are downright delicious and healthy for you! Did I mention that they’re oil free? Just an added bonus, in my opinion. Just picture these muffins coming fresh out of the oven, their scent wafting through your home and then having to wait another 5 or 10 minutes before eating, trying not to drool all over the place.
Pair these tasty chai oatmeal muffins with a hot cup of cider, coffee or a spiked cup of vegan nog. You really can’t go wrong with the pairings of the season. The best part of this recipe is that you can find the special ingredients on sale in the Vegan Cuts marketplace, so you don’t have to go searching all over the place for similar products.
Go ahead, make these at the start of your week and have breakfast or kid-friendly snacks for the rest of it!
- 2 teaspoons Vegg Baking Mix
- ½ cup warm water
- 1½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ + ¼ cup Earnest Eats Mayan Oats, divided
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 1 tablespoon Blue Lotus Chai
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup applesauce
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare a cupcake/muffin pan with 12 liners.
- Beat the Vegg Baking Mix and warm water together vigorously, until it gels up, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, ¾ cup Earnest Eats Mayan Oats, sugar, Blue Lotus Chai, baking soda and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, stir the apple sauce, non-dairy milk, vanilla extract and vegg gel together until smooth.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir until combined. Use an ice cream scoop to place the batter into each liner, filling it within ¼" of the top.
- Divide ¼ cup Earnest Eats Mayan Oats between the muffins and push gently on top so that they don't fall off easily after being baked.
- Place the pan into the oven and bake for 28-30 minutes or until a toothpick draws clean.
- Let cupcakes rest on cooling rack for 5-10 minutes before eating.
About the Chef
Jackie Sobon is the chef and photographer behind the blog Vegan Yack Attack, cooking food and taking beautiful pictures of it is her passion and “Camera Eats First” is her motto. She has worked for Vegan Cuts for close to 3 years, photographed cookbooks for Happy Herbivore and Cupcakes & Kale, as well as for her own eBook, The Great Vegan Pumpkin. She has been featured on VegNews.com, as well as many top vegan blog lists and Chickpea Magazine.