I know what you’re thinking once you read the recipe name, “Maple Bacon Cupcakes”; it doesn’t sound like anything a vegan would even want to get near. But, I’m here to tell you that these tasty morsels are completely vegan and completely delicious. This recipe is just one way that you can use WayFare’s new Pig Out Bacony Bits. The salty, smoky flavor of the Bacony Bits contrast with the rich, sweet flavor of maple to create a perfect pairing for your taste buds.
Maple Bacon Cupcakes (makes 24)
- 3 Cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 1/2 Cup Ice-cold water
- 1 Cup Unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tbsp. White Vinegar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 Cup Pig Out Bacony Bits
- 3/4 Cup Vegan Margarine
- 2 1/3 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 tsp. Maple extract
- Pinch of Salt
- Optional: Maple Syrup & More Bacony Bits for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and get two cupcake sheets (2 dozen cupcakes) ready with liners. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. In a smaller bowl, stir together the water, applesauce, white vinegar, and vanilla extract.
- Slowly pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir together until combined. Fold the bacony bits into the batter. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full, place in the oven and bake for 19-22 minutes or until a toothpick draws clean.
- After the cupcakes are done baking, place them in the refrigerator to cool and move on to making the frosting.
- Whip the vegan margarine with a mixer on high-speed, and slowly add in the powdered sugar. Add in the maple extract and salt and continue to whip the frosting.
- Add more powdered sugar if you’d like a stiffer frosting, and use 1.5-2 tbsp. of it per cupcake. Then drizzle a 1/8 tsp. Maple syrup and sprinkle a few bacony bits on top.
Some other fantastic ways to use these Pig Out Bacony Bits are on baked potatoes, soup and salad toppings, adding smokiness to casseroles or sauteed veggies, among many other foods. How would you use these tasty, crunchy treats?